Our school’s graduation ceremony is Friday, June 13th from 12 – 1pm. We’ll have a conversation activity led by teachers to sum up the term. Come join us for food, conversation and student awards this Friday. If you are graduating from CSE, please sign up with Jennifer at the front office.
Here is Word of the Week presented by teacher Lisa. If you want Word of the Week sent to your email, click here to sign up.
Here is this week’s Word of the Week from our bulletin board. This Word of the Week was presented by teacher Lynn. If you’d like to receive Word of the Week sent directly to your email, sign up here.
CSE is hosting a trip to the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival and Woodburn Outlet Mall on Saturday, May 3rd! Transportation provided. Sign-up sheet is on the second bulletin board. Here is a list of events from Tulip Fest 2014:
- Tulip Fields
- Tulip & Daffodil Display area
- 4 Acre Wooden Shoe Event Garden
- Children’s Play Area: Duck races, slides, swings
- Onsite food Court
- Tram/haywagon: free ride to field
- Gift Shop
- Tulip Market
- Photo Cut-out Boards
- Cow Train: $2 per person (for the young at heart)
- Field Buggy: $3 per person (elderly friendly)
- Crafters Market Place
- Pony Rides ($5 – under 80 lbs)- weather dependant
- Authentic Mexican Food
- Dutch Sausage provided by: Mt. Angel Sausage Company
- Wooden Shoe Making Demonstrations
- Steam tractors- weather dependant
- You-Pick Tulip Area: $.75 per stem or 20+ $.50 per stem
- Wine Tasting: 12 noon- 5pm Located in Field Greenhouse
- Weather permitting- Activities run by MADJEK- Jump Tents & Events Jump Tents, Bungie Jumper, Pony Rides, Rock Wall, & Zip Line ($3-$7)
- New in 2014:
- New in 2014 Archery Tag: $5.00 per person- 10 minute game of dodge ball with blunted bows and arrows
- New in 2014 Paint Ball Shoot: $5.00 per person-Climb onto our paint ball shooter and paint the tulips, 50 paintballs included in price.
Our school is taking a trip this afternoon to Ultrazone for laser tag! Should be awesome. Here’s the details:
16074 SE McLoughlin Blvd
It begins at 5:30, and we’ll provide everyone two free games. Transportation not provided, but you can see Trimet directions here.
Using news articles as an student of ESL can help your reading and vocabulary skills, because news writing is usually very straight-forward (meaning uncomplicated) and succinct (meaning short and to the point). Here are a few ESL resources for news articles:
http://esldivlabs.vcc.ca/news.html – This site has written and audio articles
http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/- Large collection of over 1800 articles and ESL resources
http://www.english-online.at/ – This site features a vocabulary list at the end of each article.
http://www.simpleenglishnews.com/ – This site offers articles that are 100 words or less.
http://www.elllo.org/ – This site has many videos for ESL students.
http://learningenglish.voanews.com/ – This site features news videos aimed at ESL students in level 1 and level 2.
Name: Southwestern Oregon Community College
School Type: Community college
Location: Coos Bay, OR
Southwestern Oregon Community College is a two year, accredited community college in beautiful Coos Bay, Oregon. Through their International Student program, students can earn an Associates Degree or complete a short-term certification in over 50 academic subjects. Coos Bay Oregon is located within two miles of the Pacific Ocean, which makes it ideal for recreational activities and enjoying the outdoors.
Name: Warner Pacific College
School Type: Private University
Location: Portland, OR, in the Mt. Tabor Neighborhood
Warner Pacific College is located in the Mt. Tabor neighborhood in SE Portland, a diverse and artistic community that is only 10 minutes away from our school, Columbia School of English. They are a private, faith-based university with a long history in the Portland area. Their tight-knit school offers a beautiful campus with a central location and focus on community-building and development. They offer a wide range of majors and degrees, as well as graduate programs and adult programs. They have a strong education department and music school, as well as an active campus activities board and outreach program. They have both intramural and Warner Pacific Athletics, including basketball, track, soccer and golf.